Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lonesome Jim


Lonesome Jim is a movie directed by Steve Buscemi. It stars Casey Affleck and Liv Tyler. The casting of this movie is great. I really loved the dad and the drug addict cousin. Its a story about a guy who fails to make it in the big city and comes home to live with his family. I like this movie for its sublety, its beautiful imagery, and dark honest comedy. I say subtley because its low budget. You don't need a lot of money to make a great movie. The story, which is very literary, is filled with twists and turns. I liked that one of the main elements is girls juniour high basketball. I loved the tie in of the small town factory that makes ladders. Subtle and poetic. Second the images are done really well, I'm pretty sure this movie was shot digitally. At times, It has this really eerie quality. One of my favorite images is up above, Jim lying on his bed. I don't know, I'm a sucker for ordinary things with great color. And lastely the dark honest comedy brings it all home. The story is about being down in the dumps and having a laugh about it. I think anybody's life, no matter how sad or pathetic could make a great film. A lot of people think their lives are horrible, and rightfully they should, however if you catch a little distance, just maybe you can see the humour of your humiliation. In the beginning Jim goes to all these bars. They are called Riki's, Riki's II, and Riki's III. The first two bars he goes into, he has to leave because he can't just fit in. I guess I can relate , so I laughed. Sometimes you just can't bother to be in public alone. But yeah, I love this movie. It's very midwestern American,, dysfunctional, and funny.

1 comment:

Konrad Newman said...

i really like this review. But what is it with dysfunctional america? it seems like every american movie i've seen recently has been about the decay of morality, about how america is, as gabe puts it, 'an experiment' gone or going wrong.

if art is a representation of a society's condition, i guess that makes america quite a dysfunctional place!

but it always amazes me, when i ponder the faults of america, that it is the home, the birth place, and the shaping ground of so many beautiful people. (this is my round about way of saying that i really miss all my friends back home...)

LOVE!