Saturday, November 1, 2008

Roadside Memorials

A little bit of humor for an otherwise tragic scenario can go a long way...

I passed by a roadside Memorial last night, (Halloween) and it occurred to me that it might be the memorial for the cyclist that died in my friends arms. What is most strange for me about seeing this memorial, is that I have crossed paths with this sentient being several times since his sudden, and fatal accident.

First knowledge:

On Facebook, my friend Erin posts, "I can't stop thinking about the man I saw die today"

Second knowledge:

I talk to Erin at a concert, she brings up the fact that she is still very shaken by the experience. I get her story of the accident... she was riding behind him a couple blocks when he collided with a car... she held him, and comforted him until he died.

First experience:

Walking back to the car from the Boulder Theater I stopped at a roadside memorial that was marked by, among other things, a bike completely painted white. I like public memorials so I stopped, and slowly the idea of this memorial being for the same person that Erin saw die crept into my thoughts. I sat down spent and some time with this site... I was taken by how this person's life and death, even without knowing each other had continuously crossed my path over the past couple months. I took out a black sharpie and wrote on the all white bike:

R.I.P. I knew of you, even before seeing this beauty

I sprinkled some dirt over the sprockets, attached my sharpie the break cable, and left two smokes to be shared.