Tuesday, May 13, 2008

>>PORTISHEAD THIRD<<


Today a new video has arrived from PORTISHEADS THIRD album. I recently got the new album and to say the least, I think its mind-blowing. The vocal's are familiar, but the sound has been kicked up a few knotches. Especially on the new single,
THE RIP. It sounds like its from Stanley Kubrick's 2001. I love when Gibbon's rattles on about white horses taking her. Then there's the march to war "MACHINE GUN". Its real dark and sublimely beautiful, the ending is super slick with its 70s sci-fi synths. 10 years ago when their first two albums were out,they were a part of great period in contemporary electronic music. For me, That time was filled with PORTISHEAD, DJ SHADOW, DJ KRUSH, MO WAX, UNKLE, NINJA TUNE, AUTECHRE, and APHEX TWIN. SO I guess with the arrival of the new record it brings back the memories of that time and something new to the future. Its perfect that they haven't released an album in 10 years. Hopefully in the same way 80s music has been revamped, remixed, and glossed over, the 90s as well, will get its kick back forward. I think that no time is without great music. History is a great place to mine for ideas. I love the aesthetic of the idea of year zero and punk rock, progressing forward. But I think building upon the past is just as good. So take history and take the future too. I just want to hear good tunes.

No comments: